[plug] NFS trouble "no export entry" for root fs.

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sun May 30 10:33:19 WST 1999

> Date sent:      	Sat, 29 May 1999 23:29:41 +0800 (WST)
> From:           	Mike Holland <myk at golden.wattle.id.au>
> To:             	Perth Linux User Group <plug at linux.org.au>
> Subject:        	[plug] NFS trouble "no export entry" for root fs.
> Send reply to:  	plug at linux.org.au
>
> > Since upgrading ( 2.2, redhat6 ) I have had some odd trouble with NFS.
> > The client get a stale NFS handle for no apparent reason on a mounted
> > filesystem that was previously working. I then unmount and try to remount,
> > but the server refuses, and logs:
> >
> > 	mountd[449]: refused mount request from donau: no export entry
> >
> > But of course there is one. Nothing has changed in the /etc/exports file.
> >
> > 	/var/spool/mail donau(rw,no_root_squash)
> > 	/       donau(rw,no_root_squash)
> > 	/usr        donau(ro,no_root_squash)
> > 	/home       donau(rw,no_root_squash)
> >
> > The /var/spool/mail is still working fine (can unmount and remount),
> >  but '/' is rejected. The others will mount at another mountpoint.
>
> Very queer... It has been several years since I have dealt with NFS
> in any great detail but there is a way to update the export table
> without shutting down the NFS daemons. From memory it involves
> running "exportfs" as root with a few options. One of the options

[summer at possum summer]$ man exportfs
No manual entry for exportfs
[summer at possum summer]$

Good one!

Actually, it DOES exist. Just no docs. All it does, if you get the syntax
right, is what I do (but in 30 lines of script).

> should list the exports as the NFS daemon understands.
>
> Maybe I have a wire crossed here because there is a very similar util
> which tells you what "volumes" have been exported by a remote NFS
> server (eg: browsing an NFS server).

updating /etc/exports and "killall -HUP rpc.mountd   rpc.nfsd" updates the
info with immediate effect here.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield