[plug] NFS trouble "no export entry" for root fs.

David Campbell campbell at gear.torque.net
Sun May 30 10:18:28 WST 1999

Date sent:      	Sat, 29 May 1999 23:29:41 +0800 (WST)
From:           	Mike Holland <myk at golden.wattle.id.au>
To:             	Perth Linux User Group <plug at linux.org.au>
Subject:        	[plug] NFS trouble "no export entry" for root fs.
Send reply to:  	plug at linux.org.au

> Since upgrading ( 2.2, redhat6 ) I have had some odd trouble with NFS.
> The client get a stale NFS handle for no apparent reason on a mounted
> filesystem that was previously working. I then unmount and try to remount,
> but the server refuses, and logs:
>
> 	mountd[449]: refused mount request from donau: no export entry
>
> But of course there is one. Nothing has changed in the /etc/exports file.
>
> 	/var/spool/mail donau(rw,no_root_squash)
> 	/       donau(rw,no_root_squash)
> 	/usr        donau(ro,no_root_squash)
> 	/home       donau(rw,no_root_squash)
>
> The /var/spool/mail is still working fine (can unmount and remount),
>  but '/' is rejected. The others will mount at another mountpoint.

Very queer... It has been several years since I have dealt with NFS
in any great detail but there is a way to update the export table
without shutting down the NFS daemons. From memory it involves
running "exportfs" as root with a few options. One of the options
should list the exports as the NFS daemon understands.

Maybe I have a wire crossed here because there is a very similar util
which tells you what "volumes" have been exported by a remote NFS
server (eg: browsing an NFS server).

You may want to check the man page on exportfs and also the "see
also" entries.

David Campbell
campbell at torque.net
"This is not an office, rather Hell with fluorescent lighting"