Games ... (Re: [plug] SCSI and Dual CPU's ...)

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Sun May 30 11:25:47 WST 1999

Oliver White wrote:

> That's what I figured, just using it for games. It seems that game consoles are
> the way to go, in conjunction with digital TV at least. Apart from games, which
> would be better serviced by a dedicated console, or even a accessory for a
> computer, is there anything else driving the desktop market? Doesn't seem like
> it. Will be interesting to see where the industry goes, anyway.

Game consoles only suit some people. I'm sure they'll get there
eventually, but their multiplayer is still lacking (you can't log onto a
Team Fortress game with 20 people for example). Other factors:
  - I like Keyboard + Mouse for control; most games I play (FPS and RTS)
are best with mouse.
  - PC's DO have more power currently (eg; Quake3Arena at
1280x1024x32bit at 30 frames/sec) (Note: "with a 3D card" - becoming a
must for PC gamers)
  - I use my PC for other things too. ^_^
  - With PC's, you can download demos (I don't think I've bought a game
yet before trying out a demo first... The price of games, how can you
afford the risk?)

(Yeah, I know consoles are a lot cheaper... ^_^)

ObLinux:

Ummm, errr, Linux is great!!! ^_^;;;

So, games is one reason I still have a Win98 partition (Office being the
other), but looks like that is changing, slowly. It's also affecting
what games I buy, too! I don't think I ever would've bought "Myth II",
but I'm tempted to, now that they're doing a Linux port!

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :