Games ... (Re: [plug] SCSI and Dual CPU's ...)

Peter Caffin pc at it.net.au
Sun May 30 19:50:04 WST 1999

On Sun, 30 May 1999, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> Game consoles only suit some people. I'm sure they'll get there
> eventually, but their multiplayer is still lacking (you can't log onto a
> Team Fortress game with 20 people for example). Other factors:

This is very definitely true. However, most new games focus pretty much on
deathmatch play. One of the things I liked about the old Doom style games
was Co-op mode. It was one way I could get my GF involved in computing :).

>   - I like Keyboard + Mouse for control; most games I play (FPS and RTS)
> are best with mouse.

Personal preference, I think ;).

>   - PC's DO have more power currently (eg; Quake3Arena at
> 1280x1024x32bit at 30 frames/sec)

With the anti-aliasing qualities of most reasonably "fuzzy" TV sets,
though, this tends not to be *that* much of an issue, IMHO. Some of the
games systems are a bit under-powered for 3D-fests involving complex
models.

> (Note: "with a 3D card" - becoming a must for PC gamers)

And this is where I tend to day yes to consoles. The price of a console is
pretty much the same (if not a bit cheaper) as a current-day 3D SVGA card.
It's a purchase which gives you a stable games platform for 2-3+ years.

>   - I use my PC for other things too. ^_^

Nothing I use on a day-to-day basis needs much more than the Cyrix P150
I've got. Every time I'm tempted to upgrade, I end up thinking of the
cost:benefit ratio ;).

>   - With PC's, you can download demos (I don't think I've bought a game
> yet before trying out a demo first... The price of games, how can you
> afford the risk?)

Demos for Sony Playstation, for example, appear on cover disks of some
games magazines. There's often even a demo disk stashed in behind the disk
you've just recently bought. Bonus.

You're completely correct, of course, when it comes to N64 and the Sega
offering.

> (Yeah, I know consoles are a lot cheaper... ^_^)

That's the deciding factor for me, I guess. That and the fact that the
new games running on 3D cards still can't render the hoards of enemies in
that we used to get with Doom. Aside from pretty renderings and high
resolution, the games on PC are dull as dishwater.

With the consise specs that developers have to work with, they seem more
able to focus on the gameplay instead of the "Gee-wiz! Our maps include
curves!" thing.

 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
/                 PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |