[plug] Star Office and 5.1 and the registration

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Mon May 31 13:29:55 WST 1999

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 5/31/99, 1:05:18 PM, Rob Potter <potter at central.murdoch.edu.au> wrote
regarding Re: [plug] Star Office and 5.1 and the registration:

> I haven't installed 5.1 yet (too much on for a another few weeks) but
> will be keen to see if the mailreader works better.  I'm having to use
> Netscape for mail when I boot up into Linux 'cos the SO mailreader
hangs
> the whole X-window!  I've ended up doing most of my stuff in W98 at
the
> moment so it's not critical.

Rob, I use the email facility in Star Office.

It may be slow to download, but Star Office is a bit slow (I believe
it is due to the degree of integration, which makes it
resource-demanding), on my P150+ with 32MB of RAM, but, it seems to
work for me.

I have Star Office installed as a server installation, rather than a
workstation installation, so that multiple users can use the
application, on the same box, using different logins. That was also
how I had SO 5.0 installed.

I don't know whether that makes a difference, but it is supposed to
have only about 2MB of the application installed under each account,
rather than the whole 150 or 200 MB, or whatever.

It takes two installations; one to install the server component, as
root, and one to install the client part as the user (this part once
for each user).

Happily, so far, I do not have the problem with the yellow stuff, that
I got appearing with SO 5.0, when I had the pointer in the text
window.

The version of SO 5.0 that I was using, was the OEM version, but, from
the Help->Product Information window, the SO5.1 that I am using, it
does not appear that this is an OEM version.

The same inflexibilities with the fonts, and with the (lack of)
regional settings appear to exist.

Bret Busby