[plug] Star Office and 5.1 and the registration

Rob Potter potter at central.murdoch.edu.au
Mon May 31 13:05:18 WST 1999

Brett

>In the installation process, it informed us that, as we did not have
>the java libraries installed, the java components of Star Office would
>not be enabled. It did not say whether we would need to re-install
>Star Office to enable the java components, or, what we would need to
>do to either install the java libraries, or enable the java
>components. (I am not sure that that is a bad thing, though; doesn't
>java allow nasties to be downloaded, or operated, without the user
>having much control, or, being aware?)

WRT java, there is a large section of the README file in the SO501.inst
directory talking about java installation.  It looks like you have to
install it separately as there is a choice of files to use.  That kind of
thing is a bit of a pain - if you need it why not build it in to the
installation in the first place?  I know StarOffice is free, but if they
want to reach their stated aim of half-a-million users by the end of the
year, they will have to raise their game with registration and installation!

I haven't installed 5.1 yet (too much on for a another few weeks) but I
will be keen to see if the mailreader works better.  I'm having to use
Netscape for mail when I boot up into Linux 'cos the SO mailreader hangs
the whole X-window!  I've ended up doing most of my stuff in W98 at the
moment so it's not critical.

Cheers

Rob
Dr Rob Potter