[plug] LyX/LaTeX questions

blockley at environ.wa.gov.au blockley at environ.wa.gov.au
Wed Nov 3 10:05:19 WST 1999

On  3 Nov, Christian wrote:
> Hi all,

G'day

> I know there a few of you guys out there who are good with LaTeX so
> maybe you can help me out with a couple of minor adjustments I'd like to
> make.  I've done my thesis in LyX which has worked really nicely,
> unfortunately the downside of this is that I haven't really had the
> opportunity/reason to learn very much LaTeX.
>
> Firstly I'd like to customise the page numbering in my appendices.  For
> example, Appendix A pages I'd like to be numbered: A-1, A-2, A-3 and so
> on as appropriate for the other appendices too.  Is that possible?  If
> anyone has any suggestions I'd really like to know. :-)

I am sure this is possible but I've never needed to try something like
this myself.  Try looking Latex package index at your nearest CTAN site
(there is one at mirror.aarnet.edu.au).  The index is very well done
and contains descriptions of the packages.  I've found it very helpful
in the past.

> Also, I've noticed sometimes LaTeX hyphenates text in section titles
> etc.  Is there a way of stopping it from doing this?

OK this is an easier question.  Usually the way to get around this is
to force a line break  (\\) before the hyphenated word.

hope this helps

Cheers

Adrian
Adrian Blockley (blockley at environ.wa.gov.au) |       Westralia Square,
Department of Environmental Protection       |       141 St George's Tce
Ph:  61 8 9222 7165			     |       Perth 6000
Fax: 61 8 9321 5184 			     |