[plug] Which rpm's required to get g++ and gcc working...

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Thu Nov 4 22:04:26 WST 1999

> Hi all,
>
> I have just installed a new RedHat server with the intent that it act as a
> intranet web-server.  Since I did not wish to use more space than necessary,
> I chose not to install development tools when installing the machine in the
> first instance, thinking that it was not a development machine.  However
> then I later realised that, since some of the packages I wish to run on this
> system, I only have as source distro's, and subsequently, will need to
> compile them - hence I really do need the development tools.
>
> I have subsequently mounted the Redhat CD, and installed the following
> rpm's...
>
> egcs-1.1.2-12
> egcs-c++-1.1.2-12
> compat-egcs-5.2-1.0.3a.1
> compat-egcs-c++-5.2-1.0.3a.1
> compat-binutils-5.2-2.9.1.0.23.1
> compat-glibc-5.2-2.0.7.1
> compat-egcs-5.2-1.0.3a.1
> compat-egcs-c++-5.2-1.0.3a.1
> cpp-1.1.2-12

I presume you have glibc too. You'l need glibc-devel as well, and a couple
of c++ libraries whose names stick out a little when you look for them.

> However, when I try to run ./configure on one of the applications, I get the
> following message.
>
> # ./configure
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
> create executables.

There will be a file called 'build.log" that will shed more light on thos.

btw I've had this problem when running egcs under the control of the
at|batch commands, and had it work fine in an xterm window.

Individual packages are likely to require other things too... most times
the authors remember to mention them.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield