[plug] Which rpm's required to get g++ and gcc working...

Buddrige, David david.buddrige at mitswa.com.au
Wed Nov 3 13:48:34 WST 1999

Hi all,

I have just installed a new RedHat server with the intent that it act as a
intranet web-server.  Since I did not wish to use more space than necessary,
I chose not to install development tools when installing the machine in the
first instance, thinking that it was not a development machine.  However
then I later realised that, since some of the packages I wish to run on this
system, I only have as source distro's, and subsequently, will need to
compile them - hence I really do need the development tools.

I have subsequently mounted the Redhat CD, and installed the following
rpm's...

egcs-1.1.2-12
egcs-c++-1.1.2-12
compat-egcs-5.2-1.0.3a.1
compat-egcs-c++-5.2-1.0.3a.1
compat-binutils-5.2-2.9.1.0.23.1
compat-glibc-5.2-2.0.7.1
compat-egcs-5.2-1.0.3a.1
compat-egcs-c++-5.2-1.0.3a.1
cpp-1.1.2-12

However, when I try to run ./configure on one of the applications, I get the
following message.

# ./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.

Does anyone have any clues as to what other RPM's are required to get gcc
and g++ working properly?

thanks heaps for any assistance...

regards

David Buddrige