[plug] LyX/LaTeX questions

Greg Gamble gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 4 23:07:11 WST 1999

According to Christian:
> [code deleted]
> This works except it kills what the appendix package does, ie takes away
> the word "Appendix" form every ToC entry and won't allow the "List of
> Appendices" title to appear at all. :(

Hmm! ... it seems to work for me ... where are you putting
\usepackage[titletoc]{appendix}

It needs to go before the code I sent previously (I think I may have
neglected to mention that) i.e.

\documentclass{book}
\usepackage[titletoc]{appendix}
\usepackage{tocbibind}
\makeatletter
\makeatother
\begin{document}

> I can go back to your old code and it works ok except I can't have the
> "List of Appendices" title in there.

No, don't do that ... my new code genuinely is better ... I think you
must have the \usepackage commands after my code.

> The other problem is that my
> Bibliography is numbered like it's another appendix (actually, it gets
> numbered the same as the last appendix).  Any idea how to stop the
> bibliography getting numbered at all?
>
> I tried using the tocbibind package to include the bibliography in the ToC
> but it seems to conflict with the appendix package so it puts the
> Bibliography in labelled as an appendix (and numbered wrongly as above).

The tocbibind package seems to work quite nicely ... and it includes a
ToC line for the bibliography. Tocbibind defines the bibliography to
have a \chapter* header i.e. unnumbered chapter heading ... as you
want. I'm pretty sure your problem here has the same cause ... my code
should come after the \usepackage commands. The tocbibind and appendix
packages shouldn't conflict ... they were both written by the same
person: Peter Wilson ... surely he would have tested them together.
Anyway, they seem to work ok for me.

> > \addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{\bibname}
> Whereabouts do you add this?  I've tried adding a few things like this in

You don't need this now you are using tocbibind ... but if you weren't
it would come immediately after the

\begin{thebibliography}{10}

line. Sorry ... I obviously didn't leave many clues last night ...
I must have been tired!

> Thanks again for all your help -- it's very much appreciated.

That's ok ... if the above doesn't work as advertised, please include
an excerpt of your LaTeX code that shows it failing and I'll see where
it's going wrong.

  Regards,
  Greg Gamble <gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au>