[plug] Problem setting up alias for a user...

Buddrige, David david.buddrige at mitswa.com.au
Fri Nov 5 10:43:00 WST 1999

Hi all,

I am currently working on setting up a jitterbug server (this being the
bug-tracking program developed by the samba team -->
http://samba.anu.edu.au/jitterbug/).  I am close to getting the system
working.

As part of the install for this program, I have created a user called
"jitterbug" which is the user to whom all bug-reports are directed (ie.
mailto:jitterbug at bugserver).  However what I want to do is to set up a
.forward file for the jitterbug user such that whenever an email is
delivered to that user's inbox (by sendmail), it is directed to a program
called "new_message".

If I have a text file, and, while logged on as jitterbug, I run the program
from the command line thus:

./bin/new_message jitterbug < somefile.txt

The text file is processed correctly as though it were an incoming email.
What I want to know is how to set up a .foreward file such that the text of
each incoming email is piped into that program automatically, and thereby
processed...

If someone could show me the syntax that is required, that'd be really
helpful... I'm using sendmail as my MTA -- I am assuming .foreward is the
correct file to put this information into - however if this is not correct,
could someone let me know?

thanks heaps

David Buddrige
Software Engineer