[plug] Sendmail and procmail problems !!!!

Sean Macleod sean.macleod at bankwest.com.au
Fri Nov 5 12:42:10 WST 1999

Mike Holland wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, John Summerfield wrote:
>
> > > The advantage is i dont need sendmail. It serves no purpose for me.
> > > Fetchmail does POP, Procmail separates the lists and spam.
> >
> > You have nothing listening on port 25?
>
> OK, I do run sendmail for local use by cron, etc. But not for sending
> or receiving internet mail. Why? Because it scares the willies out of me.
> NOW - time to face my fears. I may need some help please.
>
> Fetchmail is now delivering via port 25. OK, it seems to be delivering
> everything to me, regardless of the headers. good. No relaying.
>
> Next, try sending using the 'mail' command. No good, it sitting in my
> mqueue directory. Did my sendmail refuse, or was it the relay?
> 'salween' is my current host, 'golden.wattle.id.au' is a domain with just
> an MX record, pointing to my ISP.
>
> Here is the maillog:
>
> Nov  5 11:32:53 salween sendmail[13978]: LAA13978: from=myk, size=47,
> class=0, pri=30047, nrcpts=1,
> msgid=<199911050332.LAA13978 at salween.golden.wattle.id.au>,
> relay=myk at localhost
> Nov  5 11:32:55 salween sendmail[13980]: LAA13978:
> to=test3 at golden.wattle.id.au, ctladdr=myk (501/501), delay=00:00:07,
> xdelay=00:00:02, mailer=esmtp, relay=cygnus.uwa.edu.au. [203.24.97.1],
> stat=Deferred: 418 <myk at salween.golden.wattle.id.au>... Domain name must
> resolve
>
>  Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au> Perth, Australia.
>                           --==--
> A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining
> and wants it back the minute it begins to rain.
>                 -- Mark Twain

hhmm

i dont know anything about fetchmail but ...

it looks to me like you mail relay cygnus.uwa.edu.au tried to do an DNS
lookup on your hostname salween.golden.wattle.id.au to see if you are
allow to relay mail from it. This failed, so it  rejected your message
as a kind of spam attempt.

do you have cygnus set up as a smart relay in your sendmail.cf ?

this message should not have gone to cygnus

make sure /etc/mail/sendmail.cw ( hosts we accept mail for) has

salween.golden.wattle.id.au
golden.wattle.id.au

in it so that sendmail knows that mail sent to this address is local.

my suggestion would be put in A record for salween (providing it has a
static IP address and is the host you will send mail from)

also providing that cygnus is running sendmail the will need to have
your domain name in their relay-domains file in /etc/mail

as a last tip

/usr/lib/sendmail -bv [address] will tell you how sendmail will try to
send mail

eg

 /usr/lib/sendmail -bv user1 at somehost.somedomain.com.au
user1 at somehost.somedomain.com.au... deliverable: mailer local, user
user1

sorry about the ramble (i have been writing this email in between other
things)

mail me if you need more help (confusion)

Sean

Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and may not be authentic.
If you have any doubts as to the contents please telephone to confirm.

This electronic transmission is intended only for those to whom it is
addressed. It may contain information that is confidential, privileged
or exempt from disclosure by law.  Any claim to privilege is not waived
or lost by reason of mistaken transmission of this information.
If you are not the intended recipient you must not distribute or copy this
transmission and should please notify the sender.  Your costs for doing
this will be reimbursed by the sender.