[plug] Sendmail and procmail problems !!!!

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Nov 5 11:46:52 WST 1999

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, John Summerfield wrote:

> > The advantage is i dont need sendmail. It serves no purpose for me.
> > Fetchmail does POP, Procmail separates the lists and spam.
>
> You have nothing listening on port 25?

OK, I do run sendmail for local use by cron, etc. But not for sending
or receiving internet mail. Why? Because it scares the willies out of me.
NOW - time to face my fears. I may need some help please.

Fetchmail is now delivering via port 25. OK, it seems to be delivering
everything to me, regardless of the headers. good. No relaying.

Next, try sending using the 'mail' command. No good, it sitting in my
mqueue directory. Did my sendmail refuse, or was it the relay?
'salween' is my current host, 'golden.wattle.id.au' is a domain with just
an MX record, pointing to my ISP.

Here is the maillog:

Nov  5 11:32:53 salween sendmail[13978]: LAA13978: from=myk, size=47,
class=0, pri=30047, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<199911050332.LAA13978 at salween.golden.wattle.id.au>,
relay=myk at localhost
Nov  5 11:32:55 salween sendmail[13980]: LAA13978:
to=test3 at golden.wattle.id.au, ctladdr=myk (501/501), delay=00:00:07,
xdelay=00:00:02, mailer=esmtp, relay=cygnus.uwa.edu.au. [203.24.97.1],
stat=Deferred: 418 <myk at salween.golden.wattle.id.au>... Domain name must
resolve

 Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au> Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining
and wants it back the minute it begins to rain.
                -- Mark Twain