[plug] SCSI and IEDE

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Mon Nov 8 15:11:51 WST 1999

> On Sat, 06 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> > I guess it would have to be possible, but how would you do it??
> >
> > I have an adptec type IEDE cd rom and a scsi rom as well. The scsi card is
> > an adaptec aic-7850 pci to fast scsi. What keranl should I load to use both
> > scsi and iede??
>
> > By the way, I've discovered that my SuSE distro also comes with the needed
> > software to write cdr. Just going to take me a couple of years to set it
> > all up.
>
> is your burner an IDE or SCSI device. If it scsi, it will be detected
> automaticly. If it is an IDE device, then you will need to:
>
> 1) Not compile in ATAPI cd-rom support.
> 2) Compile in IDE-SCSI emulation into the kernel
> 3) Compile SCSI cdrom support into the kernel

I've just installed a CD writer an I'm working through this on RHL 6.0.
Thus far the saga's been:
   Power off, wire things up. Easy.
   Why doesn't /dev/hda work any more? assorted unplugging & replugging to
no avail. hdb works, hdc works. hdc it happens is a 1.2 Gb drive from
which I created /dev/hda, so I booted from floppy with appropriate
overrides and we're running again.

   Note to vendors; I'm in the market for a new HDD, 7200 RPM EIDE
   preferred.  Offers off-list welcom; proximity of exchange-point for cash
   & HDD to rail (Midland/Freo line, I'm allergic to changing) essential.
   Be quick or be late.

   Drive didn't run, so built support that seemed needful from source. Found
source was my 2.3 tree & I had booted a 2.2 kernel so redid with 2.2.12
source to match my kernel.

   Insmods, modprobes etc coupled with every mount I could think of failed to
produce results.

   Read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt and discovered I need (but
lack) /dev/sr0.

   A quick "mknod /dev/sr0 b 11 0" and I can now read CDs.

Now to find how to toast/roast or otherwise burn CDs.

ps I'm running RHL 6.0. Does anyone know which rpm contains /dev/sr0? I
reinstalled the dev package which contains most devices (it's not entirely
impossible I'd damaged the installation) and that didn't  produce the
desired result. While the use of mknod was effective, it should not be
necessary.