[plug] Binaries and the missing X flag...

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Nov 10 15:33:24 WST 1999

Christian wrote:

> As for the permissions you give, if the files are all owned by root and
> you're running them as a normal user then changing the permissions to
> remove the execute bit for the owner shouldn't be a problem for you,
> just root.  I can't see how this could be a security feature since, if
> the files are owned by a user and execute permission is removed, that
> user can just add +x back.  'chmod a+X' should fix the problem for you
> (although be careful on which files you run this obviously).

Sorry, should've specified. These binaries are peoples private scripts and
such, typically in a /bin/ dir off their home dir. They aren't system files.

Yes, they're owned by the particular person, and ux keeps vanishing. Yes, they
can add it back on, but apparently it KEEPS vanishing...

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :