[plug] Netscape and GlibC2.1

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Mon Nov 15 17:44:21 WST 1999

G'day All,
The problems between GlibC2.1 and Netscape are pretty well known,
does anybody know where the problem lie? ie, is it a netscape bug
or GlibC bug?

On another topic, is there a way for a non-root user so do a
shutdown -h now?

And while I'm here.. IDE vs SCSI.
I have an old box (Cyrix MII-300) I'm using as a jukebox.
I have 2 soundcards installed, an SB16 Non-PnP and an
ESSXXXX-PnP, when I play 2 mp3's with mpg123, one through
each card, every time I get a hard disk read, I get a sound
stutter. It only happens when I'm playing two at once, but
it's pretty easy to see the stutter occurs each time the HD led
comes on.
I'm using a Fireball CX Drive, so it's no slouch, UDMA Mode with
a SOYO 5EAS Motherboard (ETEQ Chipset, which from memory is a re-
badged VIA MVP3)

Anyway, If I go SCSI, am I less likley to get a stutter due to
the machine waiting on the disk all the time?

My Gut feeling is it will solve my problem, but I don't want to
go any buy a 6gb SCSI drive without a second opinion.
And I can't upgrade the motherboard, as it's an old luggable
machine with built in EL-Display, and this is the ONLY motherboard
I have ever found that has a configuration that will fit in the box.
The old 486-DX33 that was in there was a special low profile design.
Even the SIMMS were 2/3 of the normal 1MB Simm height.

I will upgrade the processor tho, probably to an AMDK6II-300.
That should improve the free time available to the CPU.

Thanks...

--
Brad.    /"\
         \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN