[plug] Bit of hardware advice

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Wed Nov 17 11:43:12 WST 1999

Hi ya all,

Just after a bit of hardware advice on a new drive that I am considering
purchasing for my machine. Basically I am looking at getting one of the new
13.6GB Quantum Fireball KA UATA 55, 7,200 rpm HDD. This will slot into a
machine that has an Abit BX6 motherboard and a 300A celeron processor
(overslocked to 450 of course). The ide controller only supports 33 so I was
planning to buy an updated controller card like the ones below:

Promise Card (don't know of a supplier here in Perth and therefore don't
know cost). Their web page does state that it has been tested and confirmed
to work with my Abit which is good news.

	http://www.promise.com/Products/idecards/u66.htm

Epox card (Zeus can do this for about $80 and the card includes USB as well
which my Abit has on board)

	http://www.epox.com/products/pc-card/usb66_1.html

All the cards come with a cable plus appropriate support for Windows based
OS systems. However they are mute on the point of Linux Support.

Has any one had any experience with either of these products and can
recommend them for Linux (RedHat 6.1) ? What about support for larger drives
under Linux (above 8Gig) ? One box I installed a large drive on could only
see the first 8 gig and not the rest.

Thanks for the advice.

Michael Hunt