[plug] Bit of hardware advice

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Wed Nov 17 13:22:21 WST 1999

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Michael Hunt wrote:

> 13.6GB Quantum Fireball KA UATA 55, 7,200 rpm HDD. This will slot into a

> Promise Card (don't know of a supplier here in Perth and therefore don't
> know cost). Their web page does state that it has been tested and confirmed
> to work with my Abit which is good news.

There is support for the Promise if you install Andre Hedrick's patches
(/people/hedrick/ at your local friendly kernel archive) but it's
pointless because UDMA/33 is fast enough to handle the speed of the KA.

> under Linux (above 8Gig) ? One box I installed a large drive on could only
> see the first 8 gig and not the rest.

There was a problem with earlier kernels, but recent kernels should have
no problems accessing over 8GB.

 - Matt