Assembler waffle (was Re: [plug] LyX/LaT2eX vs Word: the verdict)

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Nov 17 11:50:13 WST 1999

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 03:54:41PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> Christian wrote:
> > Restricting you to Windows 95 x86 boxes for an
> > introductory course on assembly language programming
> > might be appropriate
>
> Not.
>
> man gas
>
> The first thing that they'd make you do on the Windows machine is
> include windows.h

... for an assembly program? *confused*

Although I haven't written any assembly for a loonng time, maybe x86
assembly has an #include directive now :).

> and then write two to five pages of crap to pacify
> Windows before anything advanced like "hello world" appears.
>
> No thanks!

Well.... he did say "might". :-)

Pete the Occasionally Witty If You're Lucky.

PS. I thought nasm was supposed to be a considerably superior
assembler to gas... I recall reading a Linux Journal article on
assembly programming a while back which strongly recommended it.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
"There are a billion people in China. And I want them to be able to pass notes
to each other written in Perl. I want them to be able to write poetry in Perl.

That is my vision of the Future. My chosen perspective."

  -- Larry Wall (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)