[plug] LyX/LaTeX vs Word: the verdict

Christian christian at global.net.au
Wed Nov 17 11:54:17 WST 1999

Leon Brooks wrote:

> Christian wrote:
> > Restricting you to Windows 95 x86 boxes for an
> > introductory course on assembly language programming
> > might be appropriate
>
> Not.
>
> man gas
>
> The first thing that they'd make you do on the Windows machine is
> include windows.h and then write two to five pages of crap to pacify
> Windows before anything advanced like "hello world" appears.

Not.

If you're using the Borland C++ environment then you can compile your
simple C programs as "EasyWin" which gives essentially the same effect
as a console program but in a window.  Besides, introductory assembly
languages courses (at least the one I've just finished tutoring) tend to
be for 16-bit programming -- can you do this with Linux/gas?  Also,
you'll note I said "might"...  I still would say that introducing 1st
year students to assembler AND Unix in one course just might be a little
too much. :-)

Regards,

Christian.

                				        - Henry Spencer