[plug] Bit of hardware advice

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Wed Nov 17 12:35:44 WST 1999

> Michael,
>
> I too have only 33Mhz DMA, but was told it makes no difference on a
> normal system. Just like the 66 vs 100MHz bus speed makes little
> difference. (Core speed is another matter.)
> Can you suggest any web sites with useful info on
> such things?
>  Or is this one of those religious issues like IDE vs SCSI ?

A search of LDP lead me to the Linux Hardware Database page below:

	http://lhd.datapower.com

I remember seeing once a HCL somewhere and I vaguely remember the link
coming off LDP so that's what brought me to the above link. The HCL was
actually on RedHat's site (which is pretty poor) and in relation to my
question the promise card was the only one in the database with no
information on weather it worked or not.

Hold your horses ....

	http://lhd.datapower.com/db/dispreport.cgi?DISP?238

Turned up some interesting info suggesting that it works with 2.2.10 kernel
or higher and in my mboard/chip combo too. Now just need to find a supplier

With regards to your question about IDE and SCSI for me it comes down to
price. SCSI is better (for a whole bunch of reasons) but IDE is the way I am
going on the basis of bang for buck. Drive plus card under SCSI cost so much
more that for my purposes is just out of the question (and in the words of
management, beyond the scope of this projects budget).

Tom's hardware guide is of course the ultimate place to look over these
issues (http://www5.tomshardware.com/). And Linux Hardware.net
(http://www.linuxhardware.net/)

Any other peoples feedback on my question is still greatly appreciated.

Michael Hunt