[plug] apt-get through a proxy

Christian christian at global.net.au
Wed Nov 17 12:49:47 WST 1999

Steve Grasso wrote:

> I've had a read of man and info, and searched debian mailing list archives, but
> can find no reference to configuring apt-get for use through a proxy firewall.
> I'm sitting behind a fairly solid one here and am getting sick of fixing file
> dependencies by hand. Any ideas?

Assuming you're talking about a HTTP proxy then one answer is in
apt.conf(5) which tells you how to configure a system-wide proxy for
HTTP.  If you just want to set it for one user and/or want the same
proxy to be used by other HTTP-related software then you can set the
$http_proxy environmental variable to point to your proxy and apt-get
will use this instead.

Regards,

Christian.

--