[plug] apt-get through a proxy

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Nov 17 12:57:31 WST 1999

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 12:11:55PM +0800, Steve Grasso wrote:
> I've had a read of man and info, and searched debian mailing list
> archives, but can find no reference to configuring apt-get for use
> through a proxy firewall.  I'm sitting behind a fairly solid one
> here and am getting sick of fixing file dependencies by hand. Any
> ideas?

I use apt-get behind a firewall - but there's a local http proxy.

My /etc/apt/sources.list file is just the single line:

deb http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/linux/debian unstable main non-free contrib

Make sure you set your http_proxy environment variable to the local
http proxy (in a host:port style), eg.

root at rocket [17/Nov 12:56:45] ttypts/0 !9 /var/state/apt/lists # echo $http_proxy
http://info:3128/

NB. in case you don't know, to set environment var, it's:

export http_proxy=http://info:3128/

for a bourne-type shell, and

setenv http_proxy http://info:3128/

for a C shell (like csh or tcsh).

Of course using your appropriate local host/port combo, not my one. :)

> And while I'm here (here's a dumb one) all of a sudden this box
> (debian slink with KDE) has stopped firing up X for ordinary users.
> Accepts username/password, blinks a few times and reverts back to
> KDE login screen.  I've had a poke around as root looking for
> stuffed X config files, permissions etc and all appears to be
> normal. Again, any ideas?

I've had a problem similar to this one before, but I'm sorry, I'd have
to spend a bit of time poking around remembering how I solved it and
I've already spent too much time today emailing.  :)

Hope you can work it out. If I accidentally remember anything I'll
email you privately.

> Thanks.

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

7. You finally do take that vacation, but only after buying a cellular modem
   and a laptop.