[plug] Bit of hardware advice

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Wed Nov 17 15:28:28 WST 1999

> On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Michael Hunt wrote:
>
> > 13.6GB Quantum Fireball KA UATA 55, 7,200 rpm HDD. This will slot into a
>
> > Promise Card (don't know of a supplier here in Perth and therefore don't
> > know cost). Their web page does state that it has been tested
> and confirmed
> > to work with my Abit which is good news.
>
> There is support for the Promise if you install Andre Hedrick's patches
> (/people/hedrick/ at your local friendly kernel archive) but it's
> pointless because UDMA/33 is fast enough to handle the speed of the KA.

Well it looks like the promise is going to win over the Epox, just need to
find a supplier.

I do understand I can plug the drive into my onboard ide channel, but the
problem is that I have more ide devices than channels (2 disks, zip, burner,
cdrom). If I am going to buy a new controller card to fit all these devices
then it makes sense to go for the 66 over say a 33 even if the speed
difference is not noticeable. The KA does 7,200 so it is going to be quite a
bit faster than my old 6 gig drive.

> > under Linux (above 8Gig) ? One box I installed a large drive on
> could only
> > see the first 8 gig and not the rest.
>
> There was a problem with earlier kernels, but recent kernels should have
> no problems accessing over 8GB.

That could possibly be it. Or maybe Bios settings, I never really looked at
the problem in to much depth.