[plug] Debian install with a 2.2 kernel

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Thu Nov 18 13:08:11 WST 1999

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Christian wrote:
> Is there a way you can boot the Slink install with a 2.2 kernel?  Does
> the CDROM come with a 2.2 kernel on it that can be used?
I don't think it comes with one on it. what you will want to do is make a
bootdisk and change the kernel on it. You won't be able to load modules,
(unless you also doctor a drivers disk) so make sure you've got all you
need in the kernel. Hopefully it will fit.
The bootdisk is a fat fs, iirc, and i think it uses syslinux. There will
be some telltale filename which is the kernel image, and you need to
replace that with the image of your choice.
If in doubt, the best thing might be to make a boot disk that you know
will get ethernet up and running, then complete the install over nfs.
This can be done, but IIRC you have to drop to the shell during the
install process.

Good luck, and if you get stuck onsite, I'm sure you can borrow a 'net
link from somewhere to ask us more questions. :)

-Greg