[plug] Shutdown and mp3's

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Fri Nov 19 01:34:43 WST 1999

> > It could be the HDD/IDE interface stealing IRQs away from the soundcard
> > I don't think it will solve your problem.
> > The latest IDE drives (including the CX) all have seek times and transfer
> > rates comparable with SCSI drives, and in (U)DMA mode using as little CPU
> > time.
>
> seek times are not the problem. CPU usage is likely to be, and the EIDE
> drives I've seen don't default to using DMA on linux.
>
> --
> Cheers
> John Summerfield

Well, no improvement with irqtune, and hdparm shows a small
improvement if I -d0 (Turn DMA OFF?!?!).
Tranfer rate goes down, but do does the glitching.
Ahh bugger it.. I'll shoehorn something quicker in there and
see what happens.
irqtune was an interesting exercise though....

And no, the machine I am doing this on, is NOT the machine I
killed with hdparm the other day. This one was nicely backed up.

Cheers for the advice all.. back to the drawing board..

--
Brad....
"The ultimate result is that some innovations that would