[plug] Shutdown and mp3's

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Tue Nov 16 13:04:57 WST 1999

> > does anybody know where the problem lie? ie, is it a netscape bug
> > or GlibC bug?
>
> No idea, sorry.
>
> > On another topic, is there a way for a non-root user so do a
> > shutdown -h now?
>
> Install sudo and give those that need access to shutdown, access to
> shutdown. (or give them access to a wrapper script that calls "shutdown -h
> now" - that way they can't pass their own parameters to shutdown)
>
> > each card, every time I get a hard disk read, I get a sound
> > stutter.
>
> It could be the HDD/IDE interface stealing IRQs away from the soundcard

Improbable. IRQ 14 has always belonged to the HDD. These days IRQ 15 is
used for the second EIDE port.

With PCI, IRQs are sharable anyway, though I have to say I have some cards
that fight.

> You could try unmasking IRQs on your HDD (see hdparm(8)) or increasing the
> priority of soundcard IRQs with irqtune.

Urk!!

> Make sure you heed the WARNING in the manpage for hdparm (and apply the
> same caution to irqtune) - If in doubt, backup your system first.
>
> > Anyway, If I go SCSI, am I less likley to get a stutter due to
> > the machine waiting on the disk all the time?
>
> I don't think it will solve your problem.
> The latest IDE drives (including the CX) all have seek times and transfer
> rates comparable with SCSI drives, and in (U)DMA mode using as little CPU
> time.

seek times are not the problem. CPU usage is likely to be, and the EIDE
drives I've seen don't default to using DMA on linux.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield