[plug] Rebooting my box to make changes to DHCP`

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Tue Nov 23 17:36:58 WST 1999

> > > Can't bind to dhcp address: Address already in use
> >
> > OK, I just installed DHCP. Should have done it ages ago.
> > I see it listens on port 67, UDP.
> > So try "netstat -an |grep :67". When dhcpd is running, you should see:
> >
> > 	udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:67              0.0.0.0:*
> >
> > Then stop dhcpd ( /etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcpd stop ), and netstat again.
> > Anything still there? Try restarting dhcpd.
>
> Thanks Mike. I think we may have found the problem. Stoping of the service
> using /etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcpd stop and running the above netstat command
> resulted in:
>
> 	udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:67              0.0.0.0:*
>
> still showing up, According to the /etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcpd script dhcp is
> supposed to stop in the following manner:
>
>  	# Stop daemons.
>       echo -n "Shutting down dhcpd: "
>       killproc dhcpd
>       echo
>       rm -f /var/lock/subsys/dhcpd
>       ;;
>
> Nothing wrong looking there. So what is causing dhcpd not to be shutdown
> properly ??? Think I might take a wander around RedHats knowledge base.

Well I had thought I had found the problem when I found an updated package
for pump on RedHat's errata site that said "DHCP fixes". I checked to see if
I had installed it (for some reason I hadn't). A reboot of the machine and
DHCP worked but I still get the error message when I tried stopping and
starting it. Again a netstat shows the above line.

I think we may have found a bug. (Better go and buy some Mortein)

Michael Hunt