[plug] MTA Comparison & Debian OpenSSH

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Wed Nov 24 07:38:48 WST 1999

> John Summerfield wrote:
> > I use sendmail at home. I'm not sure what folk mean by "resource-hog" in
> > this context - it's never drawn attention to itself unlike some other
> > software I use.
>
> I've seen sendmail take up quite significant resources in situations
> where I wouldn't really expect it to.  I also seem to remember that the
> Debian project uses (or at least used to use) the non-free qmail to run
> all their mailing lists since there was no free software MTA that could
> cut it.  The general consensus that I've heard is that sendmail is quite
> resource-intensive relative to the others.  I don't know how many users
> you have at home but possibly there aren't enough to really put sendmail
> under any sort of load. :-)

Probably.
Probably that applies to most people on this list too.

Indeed, the only places I'd expect to see sendmail stressed at all is at
mail exchanges. iiNet used sendmail when I was there; it apparently didn't
overload Opera which was then a mere Pentium - I think the only PPro was
foxtrot.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield