[plug] MTA Comparison & Debian OpenSSH

Christian christian at global.net.au
Tue Nov 23 18:04:37 WST 1999

John Summerfield wrote:
> I use sendmail at home. I'm not sure what folk mean by "resource-hog" in
> this context - it's never drawn attention to itself unlike some other
> software I use.

I've seen sendmail take up quite significant resources in situations
where I wouldn't really expect it to.  I also seem to remember that the
Debian project uses (or at least used to use) the non-free qmail to run
all their mailing lists since there was no free software MTA that could
cut it.  The general consensus that I've heard is that sendmail is quite
resource-intensive relative to the others.  I don't know how many users
you have at home but possibly there aren't enough to really put sendmail
under any sort of load. :-)

Regards,

Christian.

                				        - Henry Spencer