[plug] Modems

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Fri Nov 26 04:04:31 WST 1999

> >I've been using a wave sp33k6 - I won't be getting another Wave.
>
> ive got a wave56, its great :)
>
> >My IAP reckons USR roadsters work with his Netcom smartmodems, but he's
> >also about to upgrade to 56k so who knows how good THAT advice is?
>
> im still using flex and really cant see any incentive not to, the usr ones
> are xr2/v90?

Maybe no need to change FROM flex. going TO flex is pretty pointless - the
standard is V90.

> >I think the problem with the Wave is it's sensitive to noise, with the
> >result it drops connexions regularly.
>
> well cant say for certain [my line must not be noisy, i get 50k+ connects
> and pretty decent connection times] but really as far as i can tell, once
> you get line noise then you are better off just choking the modem back and
> that would pretty much apply to any of them.

Better modems are more resistant to noise - I saw a review on modems about
when I bought mine and the Wave was highlighted as weak in this respect.

I forgot to mention the Wave is only class 1 fax. I want Class 2 or 2.0

--
Cheers
John Summerfield