[plug] Modems

Colin Rothnie colinr at tiwest.com.au
Fri Nov 26 08:21:20 WST 1999

Well I am uncertain whether the US Robotics 56K Fax-Modem (about $180) is
class 2 fax, but we certainly like them out here in the country - where line
noise is a constant problem.  Although the ISP connection is only at 33.6K,
the 56K US Robotics definitely runs faster than the Banksia Wave 33.6.

If you are particularly worried about line noise, I have heard the
Australian-made Maestro modem does some nifty things, although I have never
seen one in action.

I guess you are unlikely to buy an internal modem, but my observation is
that about 90% of people with modem troubles have cheap internal modems.  My
advice to anyone in the country (or with noisy lines) is to buy the best
external modem you can afford, without paying for voice or message
facilities.  You quickly redeem the additional cost of the modem in saved
call charges.  Several people I know have to call four or five times every
time they connect to the Internet.  At that rate, you have paid your Telco
the cost of a better modem after a few months.

My 2 cents worth anyway.
Colin Rothnie