[plug] Modems

Gavin Tweedie tweedie at nw.com.au
Fri Nov 26 07:12:37 WST 1999

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, John Summerfield wrote:
> What modems do people recommend?

Netcomm Roadster II Ultra. (comes in internal(yuck), serial and USB
models)

> I've been using a wave sp33k6 - I won't be getting another Wave.
Waves suck, Roadsters are very good. I have a fairly noisy line at home
and my netcomm gets me at least 2000bps better connects than other brands
(ive tested every modem that netway has ever sold) and for longer periods,
my record is somewhere in the 2.5weeks at about 48000bps, with my minimum
connection at over a day at 48000+

> My IAP reckons USR roadsters work with his Netcom smartmodems, but he's
> also about to upgrade to 56k so who knows how good THAT advice is?
> I think the problem with the Wave is it's sensitive to noise, with the
> result it drops connexions regularly.
Indeed, if you do as other people have said and throttle the speed down
they will work however that isnt always the desired action (why pay for a
56k modem when you can only get 33.6 speeds?..and a fairly expensive 56k
modem at that.)

> I am thinking, though, that a USR message modem might be a good choice.
> Opinions people?
Never heard of them, which could be a bad thing because I've heard of many
many modems, or it could be a good thing because it means I havn't handled
any connection related USR message modem issues...

Matt, have you had any experience with these?

Gavin