[plug] Using Crack 5.0

subb3 at ibm.net subb3 at ibm.net
Mon Nov 29 23:12:53 WST 1999

I have downloaded the latest Crack 5.0. When I run,

$ Crack /etc/passwd
or
$ Crack /etc/shawdow

I get lots of output, that seem to suggest, it is trying to do some "make".
Here is the tail end of the output.

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/tools/c50a/src/util'
Crack: The dictionaries seem up to date...
Crack: Sorting out and merging feedback, please be patient...
Crack: Merging password files...
Crack: Creating gecos-derived dictionaries
mkgecosd: making non-permuted words dictionary
mkgecosd: making permuted words dictionary
Crack: launching: cracker -kill run/Kstar.12202
Done

The Crack does not try to crack my passwords. Am I invoking Crack with
the wrong syntax? How can I test the password qualities of my users?

Thank you in advance.

Subba Rao
subb3 at ibm.net
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/