[plug] Just started with linux, need help

Oliver White ojw at iinet.net.au
Sat Oct 2 03:13:25 WST 1999

Ari Finander wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just finished installing redhat linux and familiarising myself with
> some basic commands and the xwindows environment.  However, I'm wondering
> how to get the cdrom to work through linux?

Your CD-ROM drive is likely known to the system as /dev/hdb1

To use new file systems, use the command 'mount', this includes
floppies, other hard drives, cd-rom drives and network file systems.
'man mount' will explain more.

Try using the command 'mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/cdrom'. Then cd into the
directory '/mnt/cdrom and view the files there. If /mnt/cdrom doesn't
exist you will need to create it - 'mkdir /mnt/cdrom/'.

> Also, is it possible to run
> windows through linux if it's on a separate partition?

You can run Windows at the same time as linux through packages like
VMWare. Note that this will consume large amounts of memory. You can
also set up your system to choose an operating system to run at boot
time. Try 'man lilo', that's LInux Loader.

> With the cdrom
> problem, I've used the mount cdrom command, and then when I open the cdrom
> in the file manager the window flashes and then the system freezes.

Hmm, that is odd...

>  Any
> ideas on how to get it to work effectively?  It's an aopen eide cdrom 40x.

Not sure...

--
Oliver White