[plug] Just started with linux.

Oliver White ojw at iinet.net.au
Sat Oct 2 03:21:40 WST 1999

Mark Bolton wrote:

> Off Posting - Musings only ....
>
> Some friends and I are at that self same stage as you are at the mo .... the
> Rat in a Maze ... menu .. Man explore and DEFINITLY NO productivity ... I have
> bin ~lurking~ on this mail line ..with an oblique interest , thinking ... " I
> hate to teach my self .. reinvent the wheel .. stand in a bucket and pick your
> self up by the handle .... SO inefficent !! " ....
>
> Mebe some kinda Brains trust ? ... Newbies workshops ... ??

You get used to the system very quickly once you adopt it as your
primary operating system. I've been using linux full time for just under
a year now. I remember being in your position. Compared to many on the
list I'm a newbie myself. Don't try to draw a line between yourselves
and the rest of us, there is very much a gradient of knowledge. Sure we
don't bother Alan Cox for anything but the most important kernel issues,
but a lot of us newer members of the linux 'Scene' are happy to help. I
hear there is a new site being opened this month 'linuxnewbie.com' or
some such thing. Also have a look around 'linux.com'.

> U see these Guys are  seasoned Pros . ..

Not at all. This mailing list is a diverse group as any.

> employed and nurtured in the Industry

I'm unemployed... know anyone who needs a dish pig? ;-)

> ....We all have a list of things we must Do before tommorow ..

Sleep hopefully.

> Linux sits on the back burner as if some "Boffin's Egg" ...

Moving to linux full time involves a steep learning curve, and certainly
there seems a lot of conjury at first, but after a while it ceases to be
a curiosity, a boffin's toy if you will, and becomes a tool you'll come
to love.

> In My quiet moments .. I play with "Grock" (not Hienlien's Best ) ... relaxing
> .. and Klyx ... I dont care if my Modem wont work .. after all its mere
> Fireside ~ Sherlock relaxation fer - gentlemen only after all ? ..

Ok you're being weird now.

> Cheerio ! Mark

Hey. Oliver.