[plug] Just what's broken here?

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sat Oct 2 07:19:16 WST 1999

> On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, John Summerfield wrote:
>
> > /dev/hda:
> >  Model=ST38421A, FwRev=8.01, SerialNo=5BD070J3
> > /dev/hdb:
> >  Model=WDC AC32100H, FwRev=23.07N06, SerialNo=WD-WT335
> > /dev/hdc:
> >  Model=Maxtor 88400D8, FwRev=NAVX171F, SerialNo=L80FLY3A
>
> Sounds like an incompatibility between the drives to me.
> (I hadn't suggested this earlier, because you didn't say in your original
> post that "It's a NEW DRIVE dammit.")
>
> I have been told authoritatively that if you had put the WDC and the
> Maxtor on the same channel you would have almost definitely seen problems
>
> "WD + Maxtor (same channel) == cat and dog in bag."
>  -- Andre Hedrick (the linux IDE guy.)
>
> I don't know about ST + WDC on the same channel, but you might find they
> have a problem too.  Can you swap /dev/hdb and /dev/hdc?

There used to be a ST31270A on /dev/hda; there was no problem there. The
ST31270A is now in my Pentium II (ASUS, LX+AIC7880) system where all goes
well. The ST31270A was in another box (Gigabyte, TX chipset) where it
always timed out at bootup and generally gave everyone a headache.

I think I'll start with something simple; a 2.2.12 kernel - I have one to
hand. Then, if that fails, shuffle drives.

I CAN replace the WD drive with a Fujitsu provided I can safely rearrange
my data. I don't care to lose the contents of th WD, but the FJ drive has
RHL 5.x which can go.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield