[plug] SiSsy chipsets

Leon Brooks leonb at bounce.networx.net.au
Sat Oct 2 20:41:50 WST 1999

> Matt Kemner wrote:

> Alternatively it could be an incompatibility between the ST and the SiS
> chipset "00:01.1 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems 5513 (rev d0)"
> (do people still use SiS chipsets)

Sigh. They come out on new motherboards. "Built in 8MB video card," the
box says, failing to mention that those eight megabytes come from system
RAM _and_ the video card competes with the CPU for the right to access
said system RAM. The SiS chip in question has built into it (of all
things), a video controller, an AGP bridge, and dual IDE interfaces.
Sounds like a car with an integrated radiator, clutch and sump to me.

BTW, Matt, that NetJet card is doing a steady job. The only two blips
that the site's had have been that ipppd didn't redial automagically
(took four days to first drop the link, I have a cron job watching now,
just in case) and another tech reconfigured one of the NT servers there
to have the same (internal) IP address as the firewall/masq box (typed
the gateway address into the 'this is my IP' GUI box). Perhaps I
should've told them to use DHCP.

Cheers.