[plug] new linux user

Jamie Moir moir at opera.iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 4 11:30:06 WST 1999

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Beau Kuiper wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Oct 1999, you wrote:

> ha, the i740 is one of the earliest cards supported by the xfree 4.0 betas.
> Source code support for it is in Xfree 3.3.4+. Please don't post
> misinformation to this list. The i740 may not be the best performing 3d (or 2d)
> card on the planet, but it is far from dead or useless. I am very happy with
> the operation of my i740.

Quoted from xgree.org's pages

' Red Hat and Precision Insight are providing Linux binary-only X servers
for some new video hardware (this currently includes
the Intel i740 and a range of NeoMagic chipsets). Where possible these
servers will be integrated into the next XFree86 source
release. The NeoMagic driver is the first of these to be integrated, and
it is available (with source) in XFree86 3.3.3. Information
about these servers can be found at: '

Im not sure about you but the provision of binary only servers i thought
was a bit ridiculous.

Also the card was out, with only a non free binary license for quite some
time if i remember correctly, hence i wouldnt reccomend it to anyone
however it does appear that there is continued development on the card and
i cant find any confimation from what i was reading about the lack of
continued development.

Perhaps that was what was happening but they changed the licensing on it?

> I will, and so will just about everyone, and more fool you if you want nothing
> to do with them.

No, i really thought the performance on these was pretty terrible, i think
calling me a fool for not accepting such such crappy performance pretty
laughable. Ok, sure it appears i was wrong about continued development and
current licensing, i was never wrong about the lack of performance, there
are now merely less reasons why i wouldnt reccomend them.

Jamie