[plug] Just started with linux, need help

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Mon Oct 4 12:57:49 WST 1999

Ari Finander wrote:

> Christian,
>
> I tried the mount command first after implementing the changes to fstab, no
> luck as user, only as root :-(
>
> I've decided to buy a book as you've suggested, any recommendations?

After reading the weekends mail, I noticed lots of good suggestions to
solve the
problem, bar one.
Have you checked, that the user your trying to mount from has the 'user'
group
in thier list.
Or possibly the cdrom, disk, or floppy group ?
I'm not familiar with the way RedHat does things, but in Debian, you are
not added
to any group, other than your own by default..
try

bklinux:~$ groups
brad adm tty disk dialout cdrom floppy audio src staff users
bklinux:~$

Yeah, I know it's not very secure, but it lets me do the things I need
to do
without hindrance.. and I'm not really running as root :p)

This also solves the unable to dialout with ppp problem..
No scripts or wrappers needed, just make sure you have the permission to
access
both the pppd executable, and the dialout device /dev/ttySx your modem
is on..

Brad..