[plug] SiSsy chipsets

Leon Brooks leonb at bounce.networx.net.au
Mon Oct 4 14:31:48 WST 1999

Kenworthy Family wrote:
> Still cannot get the video chipset to go
> under xfree 3.3.3 and SuSe drivers - using an old trio card which at least runs X
> fine.

XFree86 3.3.5 does OK (runs my Banshee without patches too), but you
need to run in 24-bit mode (32-bit is broken for SiS).

Also, if performance is an issue, look for four RAM chips on the MB near
the video controller chip. If they aren't there, the video memory is
coming from main RAM and the card will compete with the CPU for buss
cycles.

> Which reminds me, had some problems with an LS120 disk and reformatted it under
> windoze (the machine apparently has the required drivers) - can it be done under
> Linux - need to keep a dos file system as its used for transferring data.?

mkdosfs didn't work?