[plug] Just started with linux, need help

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 5 10:31:25 WST 1999

Hello, Ari.

If you think some background information may be helpful (to answer
questions about groups, file permissions and so on) you might want to check
out some on-line documentation while waiting for any books you've ordered,
to arrive.

One source that I've found helpful is Matt Welsh et al's "Installation and
Getting Started Guide" now at version 3.2 and this is available in a number
of forms (PDF file, HTML for direct viewing and so on) from the Linux
Documentation Project at
http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/docs.html#guide    (and probably Australian
mirror sites??)  Section 3.10 deals with files, permissions and groups.

A Linux user from Sweden, Erik Forsberg, has put together several pages of
Linux material, too.  Try http://www.lysator.liu.se/~forsberg/linux/  but I
think the Matt Welsh material is probably what you'd be interested in now.

One of our members, David Buddrige, some time ago was working on some
documentation that could be a good read.  Still with us, David?  If so,
how's it going?

HTH,
Denis