[plug] X-Windows MBA

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sun Oct 10 07:19:09 WST 1999

>   Maybe then you can tell me: why doesnt win32 graphics work over a
> network, even though its supposed to be message-based ?

Being message-based has no meaning in terms of the universe in which the
message will circlate. I'm not familiar with WIN*, but likely it's similar
to OS/2, or for that matter, Turbo Pascal.

Create a pice of dta (like a UDP or TCP packet) and send it. Like speaking
into a telephone.

Any active message handler that sees it can:
1	Handle and consume it
2	Ignore it
3	Handle it and pass it on.

Active message handlers are like people on a party line; if they've not
picked up the handset they don't hear the messages. Unless the phone
wire's connected at the exchange to another line, nobody on the other side
hears it either.

X is like the exchange; it makes connexions to other machines. Windows and
OS/2 doen't.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield