[plug] eth0 and ppp

Beau Kuiper ekuiperba at cc.curtin.edu.au
Sun Oct 10 13:37:34 WST 1999

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying for a while now to get my ethernet card and my ppp
> connection running at the same time. I can connect to the net using
> ppp and modem or I can connect to my ethernet network, but not at the
> same time. Generally I have to disconnect one of the devices and
> reboot. I have this same problem on two machines, one a desktop with a
> netgear pci card and external Banksia modem, the other with a 3com
> pcmcia network card and tdk pcmcia modem.
>
> I've been reading through the ppp and net howtos and the routed man.
> I'm only guessing it might have something to do with the default
> route.

Try making sure the ethernet isn't assuming the default route, then in your ppp
startup, make sure it gets the default route. If you are using slackware, make
sure the following line doesn't exist in you /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 (or anything
similar).

route add default eth0

You may need to add furthur routes though unless there is only one subnet on
your ethernet network (ie, all computers are connected to the same cable or the
same set of hubs)

On the ppp side:

If you use a script to connect to the internet, make sure the parameter
defaultroute exists in the pppd command. eg

pppd /dev/ttyS0 115200 defaultroute .....

or, if you connect via a program, make sure the program knows the ppp
connection gets the default route.