[plug] eth0 and ppp

russ russ at powerstech.com
Sun Oct 10 13:48:22 WST 1999

moir at iinet.net.au wrote:
> you may be right, its probably that you arnet enabling the default route as
> being thru the modem ie
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
> reggae-15.iinet *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
> localnet        *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
> default         reggae-15.iinet 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 ppp0
>
> thats from my gateway machine, which does masqing and other crap for my
> network
>
> you dont say what you are using for config or what dist but iu suggest
> enabling the defaulte route option for your ppp connection
>
> Jamie

Thanks, Jamie.

I assume I'd have to set the default route in route.config? I guess my
question now is how do you set the default for a ppp connection when
you don't have a static ip address?

To answer your questions, I assume the configuration is done at boot
time? I use ifconfig to enable the ethernet card after I'm done using
the ppp connection. I set up the ppp connections by hand using the ppp
howto and run the ppp-up script to start th connection. That's where I
found the info that ppp needs to be default. Although it doesn't go
into much detail of how to set it as default. I'm using Suse 6.0.

russ