[plug] eth0 and ppp

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Sun Oct 10 14:38:27 WST 1999

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, russ wrote:
> I assume I'd have to set the default route in route.config?
I doubt it - you'll want it somewhere in your ppp-specific configs, not
the general ones, as they'll (probably) be read only at boottime.

> I guess my question now is how do you set the default for a ppp
> connection when you don't have a static ip address?
That shouldn't be a factor. Adding defaultroute to your ppp config or
commandline should do the trick, then ppp will add the route itself once
the device exists and has an IP.

> To answer your questions, I assume the configuration is done at boot
> time?
Your eth should be configured at boot time, yes. It should have a route
for your local network, but should not have a default route unless their
is an internet gateway on your network.

> I use ifconfig to enable the ethernet card after I'm done using the ppp
> connection.
You really should use your distributions startup scripts to do that. Go
through the network setup menus again, and make sure it knows about your
eth. That way it will set up your eth at boottime and hopefully your ppp
device will not interfere with it. Of course, you need to make sure you
use a valid IP range for your network, such as network 192.168.0.0,
netmask 255.255.255.0.

> I set up the ppp connections by hand using the ppp howto and run the
> ppp-up script to start the connection.
I'm sure your distribution has a preconfigured way to do ppp. You should
use that if you can. Someone familiar with Suse should be able to tell you
how.

-Greg