[plug] Error starting RedHat 6.0 on a laptop

Tony Clark tony at ballist.net.au
Mon Oct 11 16:51:20 WST 1999

At 16:05 11/10/99 +0800, you wrote:
>I thought "General Protection Fault" was something I would only ever see in
>Windoze but anyway...
>
>I have installed RedHat 6.0 on a laptop and in the early stages of
>initialisation (basically within the first screen of text after LILO) I get
>the following:
>
>---------------------------
>ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
>ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
>pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
>apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x07 (Driver version 1.9)
>general protection fault: 0000
>CPU: 0
>EIP: 0010:[<c0107196>]
>EFLAGS: 00010046
>
>etc
>---------------------------
>
>Given that the apm is the last item mentioned before the crash I would
>assume that it is the cause, however I reinstalled and told Redhat NOT to
>start apmd at startup.  It's got me beat.

Well I have RH6.0 on my laptop...A tosh4080.  I never had a problem with
apm but I did have some pcmcia problems that caused it to hang until I
updated to the latest version.

At the lilo prompt type "linux 1"  This will boot into single user mode and
apm should not be started I think.  Remove the link /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S??apm
if it is still there.  That will make sure apm is not getting started in
run level 3...the default.  Might pay to remove the pcmcia link as well as
this caused my machine to lock up when I upgraded the kernel to 2.2.12.
You need the latest pcmcia version...3.1 from memory.

The is a good laptop HOWTO/INfo reachable by following links from The LDP.

Tony Clark
HDL Electronics Pty Ltd
Contract VHDL, FPGA, ASIC and electronic design services
Mobiles: Australia 61 411 577 715  Hong Kong 852 9616 9716