[plug] Error starting RedHat 6.0 on a laptop

Colin Rothnie colinr at tiwest.com.au
Tue Oct 12 00:51:27 WST 1999

I suspect the apm stuff causing the crash is in the kernel.  I was reading the
help in the kernel sources recently to do with APM and it specifically said not
to compile certain APM options for some laptops.  Assuming you have a Linux
machine with the kernel sources on it you could find this easily by

cd /usr/src/linux
make menu_config

I can't remember exactly where the APM stuff is, it may have its own menu
section or it may be in one of the "general" sections.  When you find it, the
help button will give you sufficient information.

Given that you can't boot Linux on the laptop you could always compile the
kernel on a different machine and then copy it on top of vmlinuz or whatever
your boot kernel is.

I find the Linux boot disk made using "Tom's root boot" helpful in these
situations.  See the mini-distributions archive at Freshmeat for details.

Hope this helps
Colin Rothnie