[plug] Error starting RedHat 6.0 on a laptop

Paul Baumgarten paul at kcc.wa.edu.au
Tue Oct 12 09:47:57 WST 1999

>This looks like the kernel startup phase, before any config files are
>read. So the only options would be to change your kernel, bios settings,
>boot options (set by lilo) or hardware. [right? what have i missed?]
>
>  Have you searched to see if others have managed to run linux
>on your kind of laptop? Some can be a problem.

It's an Acer TravelMate 510T (Celeron 333, 64Mb RAM).  Anyone on the list
tried installing on to one of these?

>> Given that the apm is the last item mentioned before the crash I would
>> assume that it is the cause, however I reinstalled and told Redhat NOT to
>> start apmd at startup.  It's got me beat.
>
>The crash is before daemons start anyway.
>
>So you could re-install? Why does it boot OK for installation but not
>afterwards? Are you running a different kernel to that on
>the install CD? Do you have options in /etc/lilo.conf ? (esp for APM)

This is what I'd like to know.  I'm installing off the RH6 CD that comes
with the APC Revised Pocketbook for Linux.  I would have assumed that the
RH6 Install CD would have used the RH6's kernel.  Feel free to correct me if
I'm wrong.  I might try the Caldera CD and see if it performs any
differently.  (I would have preferred to use the RH as that is what our
servers are currently running and it can get confusing remembering how two
distributions do some things a little differently).

>Try disabling APM in the bios.

I have :-)

>Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.

Paul Baumgarten