[plug] NT and Linux coexisting

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Tue Oct 12 22:56:50 WST 1999

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Christian wrote:

> a) what type should I make the partition I'm going to put it on?

NTFS, unless you really want to write to it from Linux, then you could use
vfat, with loss of security etc.  Remember to always create a partition
with the OS that will use it. ie dont use linux to create the NT
partition.

> b) will NT damage other partitions on the same disk? (none of them are
> "root" partitions except for an OpenBSD partition which I can easily
> reinstall.)

Shouldnt do, but installing any OS is a risk. Backup first.

> c) will NT touch other partitions on other disks? (except for the MBR
> which I can relilo) If there's any risk of it damaging my main Linux
> partition then I might wait until after uni is finished...

NT is much more polite than win95. It shouldnt even touch the MBR.
(Of course i'm talking NT4 - all bets off on beta software.)

> d) how do you tell the NT install which partition to put itself on?

It asks explicitly. And will let you create & delete partitons during
install. Again, NT is much safer in my experience than the various
incarnations of win95. I dont know about '98.

> I'm also planning to use LILO to boot NT - has anyone had any problems
> with this?  Someone said to me that they thought you couldn't boot NT
> using LILO if you were using NTFS - anyone know anything about this?

No problem. You can put LILO on the MBR, and get it to call the NT loader,
or get the NT loader to call LILO. Check the HOWTOs, or call me.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--